Effectiveness of Hypnosis and the Evidence in Neuroscience
11 and 12 May 2019
Donnington Manor Hotel, Dunton Green, Sevenoaks
We are delighted to be hosting an event with Dr Rachel Gillibrand – the weekend of all things brain!
Dr Rachel Gillibrand is a Chartered Psychologist and Clinical Hypnotherapist who combines her time training psychologists at the University of the West of England in Bristol and running a private clinical practice. She has written a key text on developmental psychology and delivers training to therapists supporting their understanding of mind-body connection. This is an evidence based CPD with links to research in Hypnotherapy and Neuroscience.
Tickets can be purchased directly using the links below – either for both days or just one day. The price includes tea/coffee breaks. Lunch can be bought at the venue for a very reasonable price. Accommodation is available at the venue.
Single day tickets are £100 for non NCH members (£70 for NCH members) and two day tickets are £200 for non NCH members (£140 for NCH members)
Saturday 11th May AM: The science behind the Initial Consultation
This CPD will give you everything you need to feel confident in explaining to your clients how the brain works.
I will start by introducing you to the research process and terminology and explaining what it all means. At a nice and gentle pace, I will show you how we move from the sometimes impenetrable language of a research paper and turn it into something we can all understand. Then I will take you through the key elements of an initial consultation, step by step, illustrating what research tells us about our most primitive responses, how we create anxiety and what we can do about it.
You will receive a full list of the scientific references I refer to, summaries of the scientific methods used in the papers and a fully evidenced version of an initial consultation.
It will be fun, it will be relaxed, we will go at your pace and, by the end of it, you will feel confident that you can deliver a quality initial consultation with the full backing of the very latest scientific research.
Saturday 11th May PM: How does the mind work?
How can we use science to improve our relationships with our clients? Can we really make ourselves stronger just by thinking about it? Can we bypass our primitive response in the face of stress?
All these and other questions answered in this fascinating trip into our minds, helping you to improve your working relationship with your clients.
- What are they and how do they
- Focus and you will learn!
- How do we create false memories?
I’ll take the high road and you’ll take the low road
- Are low road decisions necessarily
- Emotion and decision-making
Engineering the prefrontal cortex
- Left-right lateralisation of emotion
- Anger, anxiety and depression
- Can we change things?
Train your brain
- Why do we feel happiness, stress, intelligence, aggression?
- Exercise and memory
- What is it good for?
- What is it and what does it do?
A fun trip through everything we need to know about the brain. As usual, backed up with the latest science and scientific writings by the key figures in our field.
Sunday 12th May AM: Using EEG to demonstrate what happens during trance
Electroencephalograms (EEGs) have been used for around 100 years to detect electrical activity in the brain and in the last 10 years the equipment used to do this has developed to such an extent that we can set up and go within 5 minutes. Flexible, wireless technology allows us to detect changes in electrical activity whilst walking, sitting, playing games or watching TV and we can now use EEG in natural se8ngs.
This interactive, practical CPD will introduce you to EEG: the history, the science and the technology, and will demonstrate how important EEG can be in understanding the process of hypnotherapy. You will:
- learn about the different types of brain waves, experience what they feel like and learn about their function
- think about how your clients are experiencing anxiety and relate it to their brain wave activity
- get involved in a demonstration of Emotiv EPOC in use in a full relaxation and trance session, see trance through the eyes of EEG and brain activity mapping
- try out the kit yourself, use rapid trance techniques and see what happens in your brain
- take pictures of your brain in trance and keep them for use in your websites or in discussion with clients
Sunday 12th May PM: Psychoneuroimmunology – the mind body connection
Where the medical system looks to find the link between pathogen and disease, many of us are looking to understand better how our mood, our psychological health and wellbeing impact on our physical health. The study of psychoneuroimmunology (PNI) evaluates the link between our psychological health and our physical health through the impact of each on our immune system and as such, allows us to approach physical health from a different perspective, finding solutions in psychological therapies where the biomedical model of health finds itself challenged.
This module will help you to understand:
- what we mean by psychoneuroimmunology (PNI)
- the pathways of PNI in immune system regulation
- the importance of the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis in health and ill-health
- how hypnotherapy is perfectly situated to improve both our psychological health and our physical wellbeing